Ana's Bookstore

Ana's Bookstore
In print and ebooks

10/29/2008

"Einstein on the Beach"

Yesterday I went in the Chile and North-American Institute to watch a conference about the works of the illustrate choreographer Merce Cunningham. Janet Charleston was exposing videos and explaining his methods with much clarity. I waited eagerly in the class at the Dance Expectator School which I attend, for I knew it was written on the program (at The Dance Expectator School Site) that she would talk about the experience she had while dancing with Lucinda Childs the Philip Glass opera "Einstein on the Beach" and also that she would show a video about this montage. Then in the end I asked her, "Don't you have any material on that?" "Yes, I do have it," Janet answered, "But they are at home in New York." I wasn't satisfied. "I guess now I will have to go to new York to see that." I gasped. "But you can view that on youtube," interviened the host of the event. "Right!! yes, the youtube..." I was even more dissatisfied. For I checked youtube. It's not that the recording is bad, but would I have the chance to watch that with the presence of some performer who actually was there. A chance of a lifetime. Almost twenty years have passed since I first found out about Mr. Cunningham. it was all by chance that I took an workshop with his "Dance Company", as he accompanied one of his pupils, assisting us at the Dance Festival in Sao Paulo. It was my very first attempt of trying something different than my eight years of extremely exhausting Ballet training. And I was exhilarated that I then found out my body could work much better in another time and space. It was almost as if I had that eureka moment, I guess that is what Einstein felt when he found that E=mc².That experience had such a huge effect on me, and since then I pretty much try to go to the essence of everything. So how was my disappointment yesterday that a dancer/choreographer would rather talk much more about another person's works than her own. Not that I didn't enjoy the expose, I did take a lot from it. I learned how much Cunningham's method have evolved by the use of life forms and the help of technology. But I would rather have spent five hours listenning to a boring sound, but that it is original, from his own creator than a second-handed exhibition. Though I know dancers are interpreters of a movement, they usually take all that they can absorve and yet incorporate their own tone (and that's not big news). So I guess that I just wanted to experience the dancer's energy and experiment, hearing more about New York of Charleston and Einstein than Cunningham after all.


glitter-graphics.com
And I am still watching “Einstein on the beach” while wondering, "if he took a bath after all that math, would that be considered a brain wash??"

A sonnet to Albert Einstein (I just wrote inspired by the note I did quote:)

Albert took a bath
Longing for his Math.
But isn't it a panache,
Experiencing a brain wash?
Relatively energetic enough
To bounce a theory on the rough.

Energy equals MC square...
In which terms, in which glare?
No matter the matter or how rare,
Simply energy it's in there.
Theories abound, views to be reckoned,
Eurekas in a fraction of a second.
In only one particle there's all
No matter how tall.... or small.

No comments: