Ana's Bookstore

Ana's Bookstore
In print and ebooks

3/26/2008

Genial Ennio Went into Tears this weekend...

When I watched "Cinema Paradiso" almost twenty years ago, I was so mesmerized by its lyricism that all that I could come up with in the end was, "Who wrote this music?" This movie impacted me in such a way that my life couldn't be the same after that. But without this music would that have as much as an influence to all of us? Certainly, the music involves our emotions, and its so in sync with the scenes, that now it's impossible to dissociate image and sound. And so is the case with GEnnio Morricone. He's rather a genius! With only a sketch from what a movie is about and he can come up with a hole symphony of emotions and related atmosphere.


His life, his charisma, his style is so intertwined-tuned with what he provokes/creates that is not difficult to imagine what a soul, so sensitive to other people's feelings and emotions and the various tones of movement and sounds, would think of a project made for the future generation which main aim is to integrate poor children to society. And that's the case of a favela in Sao Paulo, where they develop children by teaching them music and dance. Morricone, two days after his last concerto in Santiago less than a week ago (which I had the privilege and pleasure to attend) went to the only concert he would give in Sao Paulo, but not before pouring some tears, overwhelmed by those little musicians/magicians from the biggest favela of Sao Paulo, playing "Tema d'Amore" which was the only one in their representation that they had included from his repertoire, the music who made me wonder who was its composer.
The report about his visit in Sao Paulo:
(Click on the pics to get a bigger picture:)


The Concert in the Bicentenary Park was huge. I sat on the last balcony. From there I could see most of everything. The mountains with ice on top, the long and wide road from afar, with fast cars sounding like waves on the ocean of a city that seems to never stop, and people all formally dressed up for the occasion, mostly in black and white (including myself!;) All of a sudden I viewed a glowing bald head appearing slowly in the middle of the Andes. No, it was not the grand Maestro yet. It was the big and beautiful bright full moon. The cameraman couldn't miss this prelude from the Concert for nothing in this world and he incorporated the full moon with an incredible zooming, showing the same image of the silver sphere (with its craters and lines now visible to our naked eyes thanks to his powerful lens) and project it into the two big screens they had reserved to show Ennio Morricone and the orchestra of Rome along with the choral from the University of Chile. People were already very excited, and they applauded the happy occasion of seeing the moon with its all splendour.

Then Ennio arrived with a big ovation from the public and started with Ave Maria Guarani so apropos with what we just had watched. When it arrived to the themes from Cinema Paradiso and Malena, I was almost in tears. Then when he played Gabriel's Oboe from the Mission I was in ecstasy. And I sang along with the choral in Latin. In the end we all stood up and applauded like crazy. I whistled many times and I clapped my hands calling him back. He came back four times. But I wanted more... I whistled and whistled, singing a little tune I had just invented but with all my breath, a little music like saying, "I love you, Ennio, please come back!" But then he was gone. Then I remembered when I went to see the Falls in Iguazu, south of Brazil. It was that sensation of jumping into a sea of a harmonic symphony, the world in unison. A divine and flamboyant Concert that will be forever in my heart!
I and The Falls from Iguazu


The Falls from "The Mission":

No comments: